NEWS & UPDATES
· The Sevier County Sheriff’s Office congratulated 16 graduates of the year-long training for paramedics!
· Utah’s Dept. of Human Services is asking for the public’s input on new standards for the state’s “troubled teen” industry, through May 16. Survey: https://bit.ly/3tzkIZs — More info: https://bit.ly/2RaswDD.
· Looking for an auto loan? State Bank of Southern Utah is offering 0.25% off your car loan by filling out the “Auto Loan Promo” here: https://state-bank-of-southern-utah.everfi-next.net/.
· The Richfield Fire Department Auxiliary is teaming up with “Love Where You Live” to sell cute, patriotic door hangers, with a portion of proceeds donated to the University of Utah Burn Center.
· Utah’s Department of Corrections is ramping up “video visiting,” and it’s a big success, with visitors logging thousands of minutes versus only a few hundred a few weeks ago.
· The Bookmobile’s Summer Reading Program starts June 1.
· The Fourth of July will be on a Sunday this year, so many local events — like the Liberty 5K (and Kid’s 1-mile) Fun Run — will be on Monday, July 5. Sign ups for the Fun Run are now open.
· The Sevier County Animal Shelter says, “If you are missing your DOG or have found one PLEASE call (435-896-5370) We may have it here or have someone looking for theirs… Stop in 2664 Interchange Rd. Sigurd, Ut ( Just No. of I-70 Exit 48) from 9:30-4:30 Mon-Fri. 9:30-3:00 Sat. (Closed on Holidays).”
· The Central Utah Water Conservancy District asks if you recognize any of the locations in these historical photos?
· The Athenian eAcademy of Richfield invites your family to Blended Education Day on May 19 at the Richfield City Park from 2-4:30 PM. Click here for details!
· Congratulations to Snow College’s graduating class of 2021! It was a tough year but you did it! Great job everyone!
· Red Hills BMX is looking for some help to rake out the straights on their track in an evening this week.
· The Utah State Parks & Recreation reminds everyone that, “Exploring Utah’s state parks and recreation areas is a great way to exercise, escape cabin fever, and relieve anxiety and stress. However, in the wake of the COVID-19 pandemic, we all must do our part in practicing ‘Responsible Recreation.’ This means acknowledging that we all have a role in keeping one another safe. To help, we’ve outlined some of the key ways to help you play your part in being a responsible recreator…” Learn more here!
· This week, Richfield’s Huish Reel Theatre is showing “Mortal Kombat” (R), “Walking with Herb” (PG), and “Wrath of Man” (R).
· Utah officials say that although the state has moved into its “COVID-19 Endgame,” that doesn’t necessarily mean new outbreaks aren’t coming.”We’re headed in the right direction. Again that doesn’t mean that the virus is gone. So we encourage people to continue to take the right kinds of safety precautions. If you’re in big groups inside, still be careful. If you’re not fully vaccinated, wear a mask and protect yourself. But the message is: GET VACCINATED.” More info: https://bit.ly/2Q5l3p5.
· Lin’s Pharmacy announced, “In addition to scheduled appointments, our pharmacies now accept WALK-IN vaccinations, making it easier for you to receive your COVID-19 vaccine.”
· The Richfield Walmart now has Abbott’s FDA-approved rapid Covid test in stock. Each 2-pack sells for $19.88.
· Children aged 12 and up can now get the Pfizer COVID vaccine: https://nbcnews.to/3hnsxij
SEVIER VALLEY DINING
· Food trucks and other portable vendors are becoming a bigger and bigger part of the local economy. For instance, last Friday, the NAPA/Ogden’s parking lot had two food trucks (Mexican and fried chicken), a Native American handicrafts vendor, an antler buyer, and a fruit and produce seller. On May 11, Front Perch Chicken will be there, although Phill My Taco posted they’d be unable to make it. Mad Max’s Grillz will be there on Wednesday, May 12. Keep up with the latest on the Sevier Valley Dining group!
· Road Hawg Smoke Shack’s new menu is available here — and you can order online, too!
· The new Bowlify restaurant had a huge opening day on Saturday, with dozens waiting in line to try their Acai bowls, salads, smoothies, and coffees. Take a glance at their menu and see photos from Monday here. They’re located in the strip mall near Maurice’s, Dollar Tree, & Pizza Hut, and are open from 7 AM to 9 PM.
· Buster’s Cafe, on the Snow College Richfield campus, is closed for the summer break but, this week, they reassured us that we can still find their treats at GG’s Market in Monroe.
· ICYMI, Real Salt offers a variety of mixed flavorings — which uses their locally-mined prehistoric salt — such as their Organic Lemon Pepper and Organic Garlic Pepper seasonings.
SEVIER VALLEY JOBS
· Gov. Spencer Cox says, “It is a terrible jobs report but that’s what happens when we pay people not to work. There are families struggling, we want to help them out, but at some point, have to roll that back.”
· Did you miss the job fair — 11-2, May 11 — at Richfield’s DWS building? Don’t miss the job fair on May 18 in Gunnison. Keep an eye on new job openings on the “Sevier Valley Jobs” Facebook group.
· The Central Utah Public Health Department is looking for a new Accounting Clerk: https://bit.ly/3vUPfCo
· Steve’s Steakhouse seems to be getting ready to open in its new building behind Wendy’s and the Comfort Inn. They say they’re now hiring for all positions.
· The Department of Workforce Services is offering funding for people looking for job training to become a CNA nurse, CDL truck driver, Pharmacy Tech, Welding, Business management, and more. Call Mary at 435-893-0004 to discuss your goals today!
· Recent local job listings on Sevier Valley Jobs include accounting clerks, pipe fitters, welders, Deli Host, Shift Manager, Maintenance Mechanic in Sigurd, Patient Registration Representative, Weed Sprayer, and for manufacturing of bicycles, firearms, aerospace, and wood products.
SEVIER VALLEY HOMES
· This week, it looks like there is lots of interest in Daniel Byron Hawley’s offering of a 5-bedroom, 2-bath Monroe home for under $300K: https://www.facebook.com/groups/seviervalleyhomes/permalink/3888094267943859/
· Wondering what’s happening in our local real estate market? Find out for yourself at https://www.facebook.com/groups/seviervalleyhomes/
SPORTS & OUTDOORS
· This week’s weather looks like highs in the 50s and 60s, with lows around freezing, until the weekend when it will reach the eighties on Friday and Saturday. What plans for outdoor fun (or yard work) are you making?
· This week’s local sports:
– 3-A Boys Soccer Quarterfinals: Emery @ Richfield, May 12, 4:00 pm
– Track & Field: Region 12 Meet @ Carbon, including Richfield & South Sevier, May 12, 3:30 pm
– Track & Field: Region 16 Meet @ North Summit, including North Sevier, May 12, 10:00 am
– Girls Golf: 3-A State Golf @ Mountain View Golf Course in West Jordan, including Richfield & South Sevier, May 12 & 13, all day
– Baseball: 3-A Quarterfinals @ SLCC, including Richfield, May 13
– Baseball: 2-A Consolation Bracket @ Maple Mountain, including North Sevier, May 13, 11:00 am
– Softball: 2-A Second Round @ Spanish Fork, including North Sevier, May 13, 12:15 pm
– Recent winners include Richfield (16) vs Union (13) in the 3-A Baseball Playoffs on May 8, and North Sevier (18) vs Rowland Hall (8) in the 2-A Softball Playoffs. Congrats to all!
RICHFIELD NEIGHBORHOOD WATCH
· It appears the people who police believe were behind the recent spate of car robberies have been apprehended and all merchandise stolen has been returned to the proper owners. A big thanks to the Richfield Police Department!
· Please remember to remove valuables from your cars, and keep them locked, especially at night.